October 2018

It is time again for another blog post; I can’t believe it’s already the end of October. At this point, we are over halfway through the semester, which seems surreal. So far we have covered Basic Principles and Inflammation, Infectious Diseases, and the Autonomic Nervous System. This block we are learning about both the renal and cardiovascular systems along with all of the drugs they are associated with. The academic aspect so far has been challenging and definitely requires time and hard work to conquer. This block has been especially interesting for me because of my Emergency Department and vascular surgery scribing background. In the ED I would see countless ECGs and patients with cardiovascular problems. While I eventually caught on somewhat, learning the ins and outs of the ECG, diseases these patients faced, and their medication regimens has been very insightful. While working as a vascular surgery scribe, I met hundreds of patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Now I have an understanding of how this disease begins, the nature of its pathophysiology, and how we can help treat it with different medications. Making connections and having information come full circle is something that I really enjoy.
This past month I have been regularly involved with Girls on the Run. This national organization has local chapters including several in the New Orleans area. My team of eight 8-10 year olds meets 2x weekly to learn about how to be a good person, how to handle tough situations, and why physical exercise/healthy living is important. Next month my team and girls from all over New Orleans will participate in the annual Girls on the Run 5K, which I am very much looking forward to! Also next month I will be completing two Habitat for Humanity construction days helping to built homes for families in the area.

October 2018 hours: 4.5
Total 2018 hours: 4.5

Comments

Popular Posts