November 2018

It is hard to comprehend that the last full month of the fall semester is nearly finished and that our last block will be over in just 3 short weeks! Our last block will cover GI and Neoplasia and wrap up our first semester. By the end of next week, November will have seen 3 different blocks; it has also been my busiest month for volunteering as of yet as well! This month I completed 2 Habitat for Humanity shifts both located in the 7th Ward of New Orleans. Habitat for Humanity is a national organization that builds homes and sells them at cost to community members to help them acquire wealth through home ownership. The first home I worked on was nearly done simply requiring exterior paint, while the second home I worked on was only composed of a foundation. Getting to see the process from both sides allowed me to have a more complete understanding of the amount of work that goes into building a home while also offering very different types of work. While tiring, I thoroughly enjoyed both of my shifts with Habitat. I also was able to do a lot of activities with Girls on the Run this month including participating in their bi-annual 5K that took place on Saturday November 17th. This was a lot of fun (as both Esra and Hannah participated as well!), and I was able to celebrate the girls on my team as they closed out the season. The last event associated with Girls on the Run will take place this Thursday, November 29th. We will be spending the afternoon at Poydras Home; the girls will be putting on a short show while the community members enjoy some homemade baked goods. This is something everyone is looking forward to! Until next time.

November 2018 hours: Girls on the Run (8 hours) and Habitat for Humanity (16 hours)
Total 2018 hours: Girls on the Run (12.5 hours) and Habitat for Humanity (16 hours) = 28.5 hours



Comments

Popular Posts